Friday, August 14, 2009

Career (All Bets Off)

There was a time in my life when I thought the only jobs to choose from were firefighters, policemen, and doctors. I think this had something to do with the influence of a Fisher Price toy I was given one Christmas.

Fast-forward a few years and I am overwhelmed with such wide variety of career paths. Living in the time period that I do, I'm given so much choice. It wasn't that long ago when you simply picked up a trade and went with it because it was available. I don't think a lot of Americans realize how dramatically the Industrial Revolution changed our career opportunities, not to mention our entire way of living, but that's a topic for another time.

When I graduated high school I was about seventy percent sure which direction I wanted to head. Film interested me, I loved those pinnacle moments in movies of love, hate, rage, sadness. The deepest of emotion shown almost flawlessly is what attracted me to the medium. My next decision was whether to go to film school or do the four years of college just like everybody else. It boiled down to cost and real life implementation. A four year school would give me a golden ticket called a bachelor, redeemable at any participating job offers. Where as, film school would teach me the "know-how" and tell me to "network". Looking back, I'm still quite confident in my decision to attend a four year school. However, after three years of vigorous studying and "all-nighters", I truly question my career path.

Within one semester I had thought about changing my major to sociology, dance, photography, and even dropping out to attend culinary school. Often times I think about joining the military after college simply for the life experience and traveling. I see two alternate life paths in my mind like a scifi. I wonder how different my life would be if I joined. How different would my perspective become on life and war? The more I experience first hand, the more I am able to relate and understand others.

Whether I become a firefighter, psychologist, or unknown film-maker, I'm just happy to ride the wave of unpredictability.

No comments:

Post a Comment